Overwater Hall is a hidden gem small luxury hotel just a few minutes drive from Bassenthwaite Lake. Set in 18 acres of private grounds this tranquil hideaway is passionately run by 3 experienced hospitality professionals. Expect traditional character bedrooms, sumptuous fine dining and pure relaxation.
OPL Exclusive details
View special offers
Stay in a Superior room and receive:
- A complimentary welcome drink each on arrival (house wine, local beer etc, approx value £7)
- Three course dinner for two each evening, followed by coffee and petit fours in the 2 AA rosette award winning restaurant (value £55 per person)
- Full Cumbrian breakfast for two daily
- Complimentary 1 pm late check out (subject to availability)
- Stay 3 nights+ and receive a cream tea (scones and tea) with a glass of Prosecco each on one day.
- Exclusive offer only available through offpeakluxury.com.
- Independently run small luxury hotel
- Set in the northern Lakes
- A short drive to Bassenthwaite Lake and Keswick
- Voted 5th best small hotel in the UK by Tripadvisor reviewers
- Attractive gardens including a beautiful pond
- Traditional character bedrooms
Four Poster Bed
Dogs May Be Accepted by Prior Arrangement
Good to know
Hotel check-in time: 3:00 PM
Hotel check-out time: 12:00 PM
From 7 pm - last orders at 8.15 pm
Served Tuesday - Sunday
Between 3pm - 4:30pm
Plenty of free parking
The ground floor garden room is perfect for mobility impaired guests. Call the OPL team on 0333 2125 594 for further assistance
The hotel does not have a lift.
Children are welcome. There are several rooms large enough to take an extra bed, and the hotel has a cot, a high chair and a baby monitor for guests' use. Please note that children under the age of five are not permitted in the restaurant in the evenings, but a high tea can be arranged earlier in the day if required.
Overwater is not just about the hotel. Boasting 18 acres of solitude, our guests can enjoy formal gardens where gravel pathways and outdoor seating encourage you to linger longer; and the impressive boardwalk that snakes off through nursery woodland is hugely popular.
History of the hotel
The name of the present building has changed over the years since it was built. Originally it was called Whitefield House, but in the early part of the last century its name changed to Overwater Hall. In the 1950s it reverted back to the former name, and a decade later it became Overwater Hall once more. “Overwater" refers to the tarn which lies some 500 yards to the northeast.
Dog owners will be delighted to know that well-behaved dogs are genuinely welcome to stay at Overwater Hall at no extra charge.
Dogs are welcome in bedrooms and in one of the hotel's lounges and bar – no dogs on chairs, though, please!
Cumbria is a walker's paradise at any time of the year, with its spectacular scenery, fells, lakes and gardens, and for all of these reasons, your dog will love it, too.
And there is no reason to even venture beyond the grounds of the hotel with its 18 acres, including our lovely woodland boardwalk.
Overwater Hall is perfect for dogs, on or off the leash.
A dog sitting service can be arranged for one of those rainy days when your four legged friend might not be welcome in that museum or art gallery which you have always wanted to visit.
View special offers or book now