Armathwaite Hall Hotel is magnificently set in the secluded splendour of 400 acres of deer park and woodland, bordered by the calming waters of Bassenthwaite Lake and framed by the dramatic Skiddaw Mountain and Lake District Fells, Armathwaite Hall Hotel and Spa is as romantic as the surrounding countryside. As one of the original stately homes of England and a wonderful luxury hotel in the Lake District, it is the perfect location for a break in the Lakes.
OPL Exclusive details
View special offers
Stay in a Club room and receive:
- Complimentary room upgrade (subject to availability on arrival)
- 3 course dinner each evening in the Lake View Restaurant (value £40 pp)
- Full English breakfast daily
- Please refer to the coronavirus tab on our website for the latest information on spa opening and access.
- Stunning luxury hotel on the banks of Lake Bassenthwaite
- Fine spa facilities including pool
- Renowned 2 AA Rosette restaurant or relaxed Brasserie
- Charming elegant bedrooms
- Excellent base to explore the surrounding Lake District
- Stunning views
- Lake view patio
- The brasserie dining option is much more casual than the main Lake View Restaurant. Those looking for more of a fine dining experience may prefer packages that include dining in the main restaurant
- Lake Bassenthwaite is quite a few miles beyond the more touristy lakes to the east. When you drive up along the Lake and reach the hotel, we are confident you'll feel it was worth it!
Four Poster Bed
Golf Course Nearby
Satellite TV in Rooms
Internet Connection in Rooms
Dogs May Be Accepted by Prior Arrangement
2 AA Rosette Dining
Good to know
Hotel check-in time: 3:00 PM
Hotel check-out time: 11:30 AM
Mon to Saturday 7.30am – 10.00am
Sunday 8am to 10.30am
The Brasserie restaurant is open daily for snacks and light lunches from 12pm to 4pm.
6.30pm to 9.15pm
Smart casual attire is requested whilst dining in the evening. Jeans, T-shirts and trainers are not permitted.
Complimenatry on site parking is available
The whole of the ground floor including the Restaurant, Bar, Leisure facilities and some ground floor bedrooms are available to disabled guests with reserved parking and access from the courtyard at rear of the hotel.
Some Club bedrooms can take a maximum of one extra bed for children. Upgraded rooms will be required for families with more than one child.
Family accommodation includes spacious rooms with extra beds for children, interconnecting rooms offering space and privacy and deluxe family rooms with integral bunk bedded rooms. Children under 12 years are charged at £25.00 each for bed and breakfast in this room type when sharing with two adults.
The charge for children sharing a non-bunk bedded room is £50 per night Bed and Breakfast.
Please note that children are unable to use the Spa or the swimming pool.
History of the hotel
The Manor of Bassenthwaite (where the Hall now stands) was given to the illegitimate brother of Allan, the Second Lord of Allerdale and Gospatrick took on the name de Bassenthwaite. Another family, the Highmore family, who owned the Hall 1540 to 1748, offered hospitality to the infamous Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Duke of Cumberland during the 1745 uprising at their other residence in Carlisle. In 1748 James Spedding, Squire to Lord Egremont of Cockermouth Castle acquired the Hall and it stayed in his family for three generations until it was sold to Sir Frederick Fletcher-Vane in 1796. This family extended the Hall in 1817 by building a courtyard, a chapel and partially extending the building towards the lake. Four generations of the Fletcher-Vane family resided here until 1850 when it was sold to Mr. Boustead.
Dogs are allowed in the hotel but not the public areas. There is a charge of £15.00 per dog per night which includes doggy bag which contains welcome letter, waste disposal bags and treats. They have recently opened a small shop specifically for pooches with water canisters, balls, treats and anything else that you need to help your dog enjoy their stay. In addition to our dog-friendly rooms, they also welcome well-behaved dogs in the Hall Lounge from 10.00am until 6.00pm, so everyone can relax together. They even have a doggy hairdryer available if your pet gets wet after a Lakeland walk!
View special offers or book now