Member since 2004
Appleby Manor Country House Hotel is located in beautiful wooded grounds. overlooking Appleby Castle. It features its own Garden Spa, surrounded by the magnificent mountains and fells of the Lake District, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales.
OPL Exclusive details
Stay 1 night in a Deluxe room and receive:
- A welcome drink on arrival (house wine, tea, coffee, soft drink, value £4)
- A la carte dinner for two on the first evening (value £45 pp)
- Dining allowance of £25 pp towards dinner on additional evening to use in the Brasserie or Restaurant
- Full English breakfast daily
- Complimentary late check out (value £20)
- Stay 3 nights+ and receive one full afternoon tea for two to enjoy during your stay (value £25 pp)
- Please note that access to the spa is charged at £20pp Monday - Thursday and £25pp Friday - Sunday for 2 hours. This charge also applies to those booking treatments and is charged in addition to the treatment cost (you do not need to purchase access to the Garden Spa to receive your treatment).
There are 14 special offers to choose from for this hotel.
View all offers?
- Luxury spa with vitality pool, outdoor spa baths, thermal suite and 6 treatment rooms
- Just a short drive from the Lake District National Park
- Traditional country bedrooms
- Perfect base to explore The Lakes, Yorkshire Dales or North Pennines
- Please note that access to the spa is charged at £20pp Monday - Thursday and £25pp Friday - Sunday for 2 hours. This charge also applies to those booking treatments and is charged in addition to the treatment cost (you do not need to purchase access to the Garden Spa to receive your treatment).Children under 16 are not permitted in the spa.
- The hotels applies a discretionary 5% service charge on any extras charged to your account.The charge is not compulsory, and should you object, please just mention it and the hotel will deduct it at check out.
How to find Appleby Manor
Good to know
Hotel check-in time:
Hotel check-out time:
7am - 9:30am Mon - Fri 8am - 10am Sat & Sun
12pm - 2:30pm
Bistro - 6:30pm - 8.45pm
Restaurant - 7pm - 8.45pm
The hotel car park can accommodate up to 60 cars.
Electric car charging: The hotel has a BP Pulse Charger. Guests who already belong to the network can use it under their normal network plan, otherwise local charges apply.
The hotel is accessible to wheelchairs and has 10 rooms on the ground floor.
The hotel does not have a lift.
Appleby Manor is a family friendly hotel. Children staying in their parents room up to the age of 16 are charged £10.00 per child per day for extra-bed and breakfast. (Cots are free.)
Children in their own room are charged at 50% of the applicable rate. There are no age restrictions, baby listening service available.
Also provided is a children's menu and there is a play area within the gardens.
Children under 16 years are not permitted in the spa
History of the hotel
Appleby Manor Country House Hotel, located in Appleby, Cumbria was built in 1871 for a wealthy solicitor, John Alcock Heelis, and was originally named Garbridge House.
The building was designed by the noted architect Octavius Hansard and all work was carried out under his supervision. The pink sandstone was cut at the nearby but now disused Heights Quarry, and the entire building is lined with 9 inch brickwork. The location of the building means the public rooms enjoy unparalleled views over Appleby Castle and the Eden Valley, and towards the peaks of the Lake District.
All the internal fittings are of the finest Pitch-Pine, with the exception of the Oak Room Restaurant which, naturally, is paneled in English Oak. This room, therefore, has two doors as its main entrance - Oak on the inside and Pitch-Pine on the outside - so that the continuity of the wood is felt whichever part of the building you are in.
At one time the estate covered a vast expanse and was designed to be completely self-sufficient, with walled gardens, greenhouses, a dairy and stables.
The building was converted into a hotel in the late 1940s and was renamed Appleby Manor Hotel around 1976. It went on to become one of the best Cumbrian Hotels. The Dunbobbin family purchased the hotel in September 2000 and implemented a refurbishment program that has resulted in the hotel being upgraded from AA 3star to AA 4star in October 2007, Appleby Manor Country House Hotel is now one of the finest hotels in the Lake District.
Dogs are not permitted.
Other UK hotels that may be of interest
You can book any hotel break through our secure online booking system.
If you have any queries please check our FAQs. We accept the following credit and debit cards: