Magnificent castle in the beautiful upper Clyde Valley
Dating back to 1199, Shieldhill Castle offers great character and history. Conveniently located 50 miles from both Edinburgh and Glasgow, at Shieldhill you'll feel a million miles from both. Individually designed rooms, fine dining, and quirky charm all combine in these elegant surroundings.
OPL Exclusive details
Luxury Castle Break
Just £72 per person for 1 to 7 nights
Stay in a Superior room and receive:
- A complimentary welcome drink each in the bar on arrival (house wine, local beer, soft drink, tea / coffee)
- 3 course dinner for two each evening (value £29.99)
- Full Scottish breakfast daily
- 1 pm late check out
- Stay 3 nights+ and receive one full afternoon tea for two on one day.
View special offers
- Individually styled bedrooms
- Locally sourced fresh ingredients
- Perfectly placed between Glasgow and Edinburgh
- Historic building with character and charm
- Independently owned and run
How to find Shieldhill Castle
Biggar ML12 6NA
Good to know
Hotel check-in time:
Hotel check-out time:
Free onsite parking
There are ground floor rooms with wet rooms to assist those who require disabled access.
All children are welcome.
All children under 2 years stay free of charge for children's cots/cribs. Children aged between 2 and 12 years are charged £20 per child per night when using existing beds. Older children are charged £40 per person per night for extra beds.
The maximum number of extra beds in a room is 1.
The maximum number of children's cots/cribs in a room is 1.
History of the hotel
Prior to becoming a hotel in 1959, Shieldhill Castle was the seat of the Chancellor family for over 750 years. The Chancellors are recorded as one of the oldest families in the area, having come from France at the time of the Norman Conquests, along with the Somervilles of Carnwath, with whom there are long standing connections.
The old tower, originally built in 1199, now forms the core of the present building. The original form of the tower is said to have been square, with access by the round tower on the north side, most probably added by the Chancellors in the late sixteenth century. This remained as the entrance until the major alterations of 1820, when the tower was altered and extended to form the more classical styling that can be seen today.
During the nineteenth century Shieldhill was further added to and modernised. The original door has however been preserved – entire with its stone and lock, removed from its original position to one of the faces of the old tower, where it is set in a later simple rectangular moulding. Above the door is an engraved stone with shields, letters and a pinnacle shaped carving, reputedly part of the carved work of an altar which had been found behind the panelling of the first floor Library, which had originally been the family chapel.
The letters I.H.S. and M.A. The shield on the left is fifteenth century and bears the crest of the Chancellor family. The shield on the right is unknown. The vane which surmounts the old engraving belongs to the late seventeenth century and the initials are of James Chancellor and Margaret Levingston.
Dogs are permitted on request, charges may apply.
You can book any hotel break through our secure online booking system.
If you have any queries please check our FAQs. We accept the following credit and debit cards: