Appleby Manor Country House Hotel is beautifully located in wooded grounds overlooking Appleby Castle and in 2015 opened the doors to the Garden Spa. The hotel is surrounded by the magnificent mountains and fells of the Lake District, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales.
OPL Exclusive details
Cumbrian Country Getaway
From £72.72 pppn for a 7 night stay, to £84 pppn for a 1 night stay
Stay in a Garden View room and receive:
- A welcome drink on arrival (house wine, tea, coffee, soft drink)
- 4 course a la carte dinner for two on the first evening (value £40 pp)
- Dining allowance of £25 pp towards dinner on additional evening to use in the Brasserie or Restaurant
- Full English breakfast daily
- Complimentary late check out.
- Stay 3 nights+ and receive one full afternoon tea for two to enjoy during your stay.
- Please note that access to the spa is charged at £25pp for 3 hours. This charge also applies to those booking treatments and is charged in addition to the treatment cost (you do not need to purchase access to the Garden Spa to receive your treatment).
There are 2 special offers to choose from for this hotel.
View all offers?
- Luxury Spa with vitality pool, outdoor spa baths, thermal suite and 6 treatment rooms
- Just a short drive from the Lake District National park
- Traditional country bedrooms
- Award winning restaurant
- Perfect base to explore The Lakes, Yorkshire Dales or North Pennines
- Green Tourism Gold Award
- Please note that unless booking a spa package, access to the spa is charged at £25pp for 3 hours. This charge also applies to those booking treatments and is charged in addition to the treatment cost (you do not need to purchase access to the Garden Spa to receive your treatment). Children under 16 are not permitted in the spa.
How to find Appleby Manor
Good to know
Hotel check-in time:
Hotel check-out time:
7am - 9:30am Mon - Fri 8am - 10am Sat & Sun
12pm - 2:30pm
Bistro - 6:30pm - 8.45pm
Restaurant - 7pm - 8.45pm
The hotel car park can accommodate up to 60 cars.
The hotel is accessible to wheelchairs and has 10 rooms on the ground floor.
Appleby Manor are a family friendly hotel. Children staying in their parents room up to the age of 16 are charged £10.00 per child per day for extra-bed and breakfast. (Cots are free.)
Children in their own room are charged at 50% of the applicable rate. There are no age restrictions, baby listening service available.
Also provided is a children's menu and there is a play area within the gardens.
Children under 16 years are not permitted access of the spa
History of the hotel
Appleby Manor Country House Hotel, located in Appleby, Cumbria was built in 1871 for a wealthy solicitor, John Alcock Heelis, and was originally named Garbridge House.
The design of the building was by the noted architect Octavius Hansard and the work was carried out under his supervision. The pink sandstone was cut at the nearby but now disused Heights Quarry and the entire building is lined with 9 inch brickwork. The sitting of the building means the public rooms enjoy unparalleled views over Appleby Castle and the Eden Valley and towards the peaks of the Lake District, Cumbria.
All the internal fittings are of the finest Pitch-Pine with the exception of the Oak Room Restaurant which, naturally, is paneled in English Oak. This room, therefore, has two doors as its main entrance - Oak on the inside and Pitch-Pine on the outside - so that the continuity of the wood is felt whichever part of the building you are in.
At one time the estate covered an extensive acreage and was planned to be completely self sufficient with Walled Gardens, Greenhouses, a Dairy and Stabling.
The building was converted into a hotel in the late 1940s and was renamed Appleby Manor Hotel around 1976 to become one of the best Cumbrian Hotels. The Dunbobbin family purchased the hotel in September 2000 and under took a refurbishment program that has resulted in the hotel being upgraded from AA 3star to AA 4star in October 2007, Appleby Manor Country House Hotel is now one of the finest Lake District hotels in Cumbria.
Dogs are not permitted.
Green Tourism Gold Award
Installed a bio mass boiler to reduce energy use and have also created their own bore hole to reduce water use, alongside a range of eco measures. The addition of the hotel's £1m spa has been equipped with the latest in environmental technologies to conserve water and minimise heat loss, resulting in one of the only carbon-neutral spas in the country.
Other UK hotels that may be of interest
You can book any hotel break through our secure online booking system.
If you have any queries please check our FAQs. We accept the following credit and debit cards: